Monday, January 5, 2015

First Day Back & Poetry

I'm so thankful we homeschool on this first day back.

It is dark, windy and cold outside. Instead of rushing to get out the door, I'm steeping tea and warming muffins; finding poems to read during breakfast and planning our day.

I happened to find some great winter poetry resources this morning. Here is a link to great collection of 50 poems - some classic, some contemporary.

My six year old will love this find of Shel Silverstein's



I love this one about Jack Frost.

My mom used to come into my room each morning and draw up the shade. She'd always comment that Jack Frost had been there and my imagination would take off. Sadly, my girls don't have shades. Maybe I should get some so I would remember to do that too.


Each month, the kids memorize one poem. We have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes they memorize their lines while chanting them and skipping around the couch or making them into a song. They love poetry now which I am thankful for.

Here are some of the winter poems the kids are considering for memorization:

**Winter-Time by Robert Louis Stevenson
**Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost
**January by John Updike
** New Year's Morning by Helen Hunt Jackson
**Jack Frost by Gabriel Setoun

I also found a great Pinterest Board called Poetry Kids by Julie Kirkwood. It's a great collection of resources.

Okay, off for that tea and poetry. The girls just emerged with knitting in hand. Perfect relaxing morning.

Cheers -
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment