Wednesday, January 22, 2014

One More Hat



It's only taken me until January but I've finally managed to knit a hat for everyone.


This is the Harmony Cloche; a pattern by Heidi May on Ravelry. I knit it using SimpliWorsted by HiKoo. Here's the link to Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/harmony-cloche



The pattern is fun with an asymmetrical brim knit using short rows and then a chunky, bubbly lace pattern throughout. It has an interesting "M3" and lots of K5tog so nothing challenging but fun to knit. Don't look too closely. I made plenty of mistakes on the lace and found myself getting into more trouble trying to unknit all the lace rather than just keep going. 

I always tell my kids that's how they know it was knit with love by me; the mistakes ;)





As for reading, I wanted to share a book we just finished reading aloud as a family. 

It's Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson. 

If you have children who love animals, especially woodland ones, I recommend this book. It's a wonderful story of the woodland animals on a piece of land as they anticipate the new owners of the house. It's really fun for the kids to see the events through the animals perspectives. And it has a great, feel good ending. The language is old fashioned at times as it was published in the 30's but I think that's great for the kids' vocabulary. We almost gave up after the first chapter - it was getting tiresome to continually stop and explain. But the characters are so wonderful that soon the kids were much better at (or willing to) understanding a word's meaning through context because they didn't want to interrupt the story either. 

It's also a Newberry Award winner. We have been using the Newberry Awards to pick books this year for read alouds and haven't been disappointed yet. Everyone from my 5 - 10 year old enjoyed the book, and so did I. 

This post is part of Ginny Sheller's yarn along. Click on the link to see many more beautiful knitting projects and reading recommendations.


2 comments:

  1. Love the hat and will definitely be checking that book out. It sounds like something my kids would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable hat, it looks perfect to me and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete